Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Time Management

Not exactly one of my strengths, which is why I haven't posted in several days. There have been a lot of developments since the last one. I shall try to sum up.

I have been pounding through the book Groundswell. A really terrific read, and I highly recommend it for anyone who is thinking about implementing any sort of social media tools in their organization.

In a startling repeat performance, only one person showed up to the most recent meeting of our internal Web 2.0 project team. Must be time to rally the troops again.

I met with the director of aaaU again the other day, and provided her with a rough timeline of how myself and the project team (or at least the active participant) believe we should roll out the available tools. She seemed pleased with it, but I confess that I wasn't real happy with it myself. The pace at which this project is proceeding is frustrating to me, and there is a lot of information and guidance that simply isn't available to me yet.

Last week I had a conversation with another executive about social learning and social media in general, and the value they could bring to our organization. I bounced some ideas off of him in an effort to get a little more feedback and direction. His perspective and insight was extremely valuable, and it gave me some new avenues to try for garnering support - particularly of the financial variety.

One of the questions that is banging around in my head right now is this: who is going to manage this thing once we get it up and running? I don't mean maintaining it on the back end - that's IT's job. I mean, who is going to work to keep things organized, spot check content, help train users, rally the support of executives and employees, prepare for the future? Is that one person's job, or is it five people? Who will they report to? I suspect that at first it won't be a full-time job, but it will become one by early 2010 at the latest. Hell, it's nearly a full-time job right now. This, I think, will be the topic of discussion at the next project team meeting.

No comments: